It’s that time when we turn our attention each year to the goals we set for the past year. As promised, we turn an unflinching eye toward the goals we set for 2012, and our performance is disappointing. Here are the goals we set for this year:
- Finish the lodge.
- Get out of the mini-storage business.
- Begin tracking off-farm spending.
- Reach out to our neighbors within walking distance
- Save seed.
We get 50%. We did a decent job on 1, 2, and 6, not so well on 3, 4, and 5. We think we have good excuses, though, for most of our failure. The injury to my arm is the biggest problem, both because it has reduced my ability to get work done and because the physical therapy and doctor’s visits have been so time-consuming. We also claim a series of wrenching family crises and our decision in the fall to convert Veg Hill to raised beds.
Here are the goals we have set for 2013:
- Reach out to our neighbors within walking distance (really)
- Begin tracking off-farm expenses
- Have chickens living here
- Implement infrastructure changes (or at least finalize our plans for them)
- Look at Lee’s injury in the rear view mirror (finished with doctor’s visits and PT)
Listen – 19:37
The Longleaf Breeze Planting Database